Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Homemade Fast Food: Fried Rice

Today was a beauuuuuutiful Spring day in Wisconsin, and I'm happy to say we were able to get out and enjoy it! However... that meant I got home at 5:30 and and had no plan for supper. Uh oh. 

 Being busy, hungry, and unprepared is usually when my resolve dissolves and I cave, to the demise of both my budget and/or diet. I was this close (you can't see my hand's but I'm making a little pinch-y motion with my thumb and pointer finger) to picking up a pizza on my way home but fortunately or unfortunately I had forgotten my $3 off coupon at home, and that was enough to deter me. 

I've been trying to be better about having some fast, healthy supper options that I can throw together at the last minute... and I'm getting better! During our early years of marriage when I was working until at least 6 many nights, we grabbed fast food out at least once a week. I thought Subway was a healthy, cheap option. I've since changed my mind. Fast food at home now includes things like taco salad, breakfast for dinner, BLT's, spaghetti, and... tonight I went with a really simple Fried Rice that came together in just 20 minutes with rice and veggies I already had on hand. Tonight I used scallions, and frozen peas, as well as some cooked chicken that I had on hand. (Yay for freezer prep!) Other favorite add-ins are onions, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, cabbage, and broccoli. It was a quick, easy, and healthy meal that didn't cost an extra dime! Now that's some good fast food! So the next time you're in bind for time, give this a try!
 

Fried Rice

1-1/2 cups Rice (uncooked) or 3 cups cooked 
2 Eggs, scrambled
Chopped Veggies/Meat
Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper
  1. Get your rice cooking. (I use Jasmine, 1-1/2 cups rice and 2-1/2 cups water. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down to low for 15 minutes.)
  2. While the rice cooks, scramble and cook a couple eggs. Set them aside. 
  3. Chop up your veggies, and saute them in a little olive oil. Add chopped chicken, beef, or pork to the skillet and heat through. 
  4. When the rice is cooked, add it to sauteed meat and veggies along with the eggs. Stir together add soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
Serves 2-4
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you!