Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Look Back: Baby Dedication Summer Luncheon


I'm getting into party planning mode over here!

My little Elsie's 2nd birthday is less than two months away, so I've given myself permission to start the party planning! I was looking back over pics of what we've done previously, and I decided to share.  In this post I'll share some pictures of the lunch we had after her baby dedication, and in the near future I'll show you her first birthday party.

Baby Dedication

When babies are born to families in our congregation, our church holds a baby dedication. A little time is taken during the church service to thank God for the precious little people we've been entrusted with, and then as a family of families commit to help and encourage the parents in raising and teaching their children in the knowledge of Jesus Christ and the gospel of grace. We dedicated Elsie Grace in July 2012 (she was about 3 months old). After the service we invited our immediate family back to our house for a picnic luncheon. (Let me just say... it's hard to believe the frozen tundra that is now our back yard ever looked like this! It looks so...so... warm.)
It's my party, I can sleep if I want to...
It was a beautiful summer day, so it worked to have our lunch at the picnic table in the back yard. 

I found beautiful paper for a pennant banner, but knew it would blow and probably rip in the summer breeze, and sooo... I cut cardboard triangles slightly smaller than the paper, and glued it to the back of each. I used twine to form it into a banner. It hung beautifully for our luncheon, and now hangs in Elsie's room!
 The menu was light and simple... wraps and three salads (pasta, bean, and fruit). All plates and flatware were disposable. For the table cloth I just threw a lace table cloth over a plasic table cloth. Its a fun way to cover not-so-lovely picnic table but keeps it looking classy.

Can I just say... I love love love mason jars. They can be used for just about anything! Drinking glasses is one of my favorite regular uses for them (and in fact, we use them for our regular drinking glasses to this very day!) I tied a little twine around each, and decorated some simple straws for a fun touch (keeping with the birdie theme of course!)
Centerpieces were wildflower bouquets (my zinnias in the garden hadn't bloomed yet) in jars with a few slices of lemon and tied with a (dollar store) ribbon.The little birdie figurines I snagged from Elsie's bedroom (and the birdhouses were actually from the baby shower my sissy threw for me!)  

Dessert, of course, combined two of my favorite things... cheesecake and mason jars! We had individual strawberry cheesecakes, baked right into mason jars! They were adorable and yummy (but I should have used bigger jars! :P)
It was a beautiful afternoon with our families and special celebration of the gift of Elsie's life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you!