Thursday, February 6, 2014

Because we're not rabbits

Food is a journey. Recently, I have been realizing more and more that I have a great responsibility for  what I put it into not only my own body, but my family's as well.

What that does mean: I try to cook healthy meals, pack nutritious lunches, and keep snacks on hand that are both "clean" and tasty.

However, my "responsibility" only goes so far..

What that does not mean: With kids it might be a little different, but I will not police my husband with what he chooses to eat. I just try to offer good options :) He is so good about eating whatever I've prepared... truly, he's so easy to cook for. But veggies are certainly not his first choice... Apparently he feels like a rabbit when eating most salads. His words, not mine.

So I tried something new with supper tonight... hidden veggies.

These are not mashed potatoes...
Any guesses?
  
Dinner tonight was served with side of silky, garlic-y, buttery, mashed Cauliflower!

1. Wash a head or two of cauliflower.
2. Chop it. Throw it in a pot (I used a steamer) with an inch or two of water. Add a few cloves of garlic. I used three, I think. (Mom, I'm sure that wouldn't have been enough for you :))  


 3. Bring to a boil and steam until the cauliflower is tender. Add a little butter. Or don't. Cauliflower has a nice buttery taste on its own. Add salt and pepper.
4. Puree, blend, or mash the cauliflower to your heart's content. I used an immersion blender, but a food processor, blender, or even beaters would have done the job as well. Just be sure it's blended smoothly... Chunks of cauliflower will give you away! 

Lest it looked like there were no veggies with our dinner and anyone got suspicious, I also steamed up some baby cut carrots to serve with the fauxtatoes and chicken. As devious as I felt, I decided to serve my mystery mash without any warning in order to get an honest review. 
 
My hubby took one bite and looked at me with a curious expression... I guess I didn't fool him. He still thought they were potatoes, but maybe that I had added veggie broth or something. Ok, so they were a little more vegetable-y and not as starchy as potatoes, but we still both enjoyed them with our chicken. We ate an entire head of cauliflower with very little effort.

(In case you're wondering, 1-1/2 yr old Elsie isn't a fan of mashed potatoes or the cauliflower apparently, but she ate us out of the steamed carrots.)

Comparing cauliflower to potatoes, cauliflower has more than double the vitamin C and calcium, and less than a third of the carbohydrates. (View the nutrition comparison here.)

Other ways, I've been trying to incorporate more veggies into what I'm already cooking is by adding various veggies like carrots and mushrooms into tomato sauces, lasagnas, stews, and soups; adding spinach into quiches/frittatas and smoothies; etc.

What is a favorite not-rabbit-y veggie recipe that your family enjoys?

2 comments:

  1. I love these tips for healthier eating! I don't think like you AT ALL in the food department so I am an eager student! LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I'm very much a student in this area as well. Like I said, it's a journey!

      Delete

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you!