Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Valentine for the Brokenhearted


It's the day after Valentine's Day... Have you been on Facebook? It's filled with post after post of everyone's Valentine romance. Flowers and chocolates and jewelry and love notes. Isn't it wonderful?

Or is it?

Maybe this Valentine's Day did live up to all of your expectations. Maybe you love someone and they love you too. Maybe that someone did all the right things, said all the right things, bought all the right things.

Or maybe... it didn't. Maybe you were alone. Maybe you haven't found "that special someone." Or maybe the one your heart loves doesn't love you back. Or he did, but now he's gone.

Or... or maybe you love and are loved, but that "love" just doesn't look like pink hearts and roses. And you know that that's ok...

But then you look on Facebook, or turn on the TV, or talk to anyone else and are asked "So, what did you do/get for Valentine's Day?" We compare ourselves among ourselves. It's a fact of human nature. We look at those around us and based on what we see we either feel good about ourselves and what we have, or we feel like we're missing out, left out, behind, or otherwise unfortunate.

I know this is going to sound super pessimistic, but here goes...

If you weren't disappointed, let down, or brokenhearted yesterday, there is coming a day when you will be. 


What?! How can you say that? Someday I'll find my Prince Charming. Or Next time it's going to work out like I want it to. Or You're just bitter. You must just hate love.

No, no, no. I love love and romance. I'm married to an amazing man who loves me and does and says the sweetest things. BUT it is not his job to meet all my expectations for love and acceptance, to fulfill me, to complete me. There is a place within each of us that One and only One can ever fill.  When I put those expectations on anyone else, I will be let down. There is only One who will never let me down, never abandon me, never leave me.

But don't take my word for it."For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you  nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5, NKJV

Here is a Valentine for you... and for me... and for anyone who ever has been, and ever will be, brokenhearted:


"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18, NIV

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1a, NKJV

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved useven when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:4-9, NKJV

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10, NKJV

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine." Isaiah 43:1, NKJV

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Deuteronomy 33:27, NIV

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26, ESV

"For the Lord takes delight in his people." Psalm 149:4a, NIV

"Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I." Isaiah 58:9a, NIV 


"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,  neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35, 37-39, NIV

"Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds." Psalm 36:5, ESV

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27, NKJV


"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." Psalm 90:14, NIV


"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge" Ephesians 3:17-19, NIV

2 comments:

  1. Very well thought out post! I like how you come at Valentines Day from a different angle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment did indeed make my day :)

      Delete

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you!