Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Our Leather Anniversary


I’m sure everyone’s heard of the Silver Anniversary being the 25th, and Gold anniversary the 50th. But before getting married I remember thinking it would be fun for my husband and I to give each other something from the traditional list each year, but certainly didn’t want to impose any such expectations on my dear husband. After all, it takes some creativity and *time* to think up the perfect gift of  "copper" for your 7th anniversary or “tin” for your 10th, etc.
However, as our first anniversary was approaching it came up in conversation that Jon was planning to give me in keeping with paper being the traditional first anniversary gift. And so it began! 

First Anniversary: Paper - Jon bought us the "Lost Cities" board game. How creative is that?! It's something we've spent hours playing together. I bought him "Curious George's Christmas"... Strange anniversary gift, you say? No way. He bought us a treasury of Curious George stories to read together our first weeks married. I was just adding to our Curious collection!

Second Anniversary: Cotton - Jon gave me a super comfy pair of sweat pants and matching shirt... 100% cotton! Was wearing them this morning actually! We'd been wanting to get a new bedspread so I found us one made from Egyptian cotton. He had actually considered the same idea.

And this year... why it's our Leather Anniversary, of course!
Third Anniversary: Leather - Looking up "leather gifts" online, I found all sorts of things Jon would never use... jackets, briefcases, coasters, and all sorts of leather cases that cost a lot and aren't very useful. So what did I get for him? Well we're exchanging our gifts this evening, (either before or after he takes me to The Rep, a theater in Milwaukee, to see "Next to Normal" -!!!)  Stay tuned!

Interested in knowing some of the other traditional anniversary gifts?
Fourth: Fruit or Flowers
Fifth: Wood
Sixth: Candy or Iron
Seventh: Wool or Copper
Eight Bronze or Pottery
Ninth: Pottery
Tenth: Tin
Eleventh: Steel
Twelfth: Silk or Linen
Thirteenth: Lace
Fourteenth: Ivory
Fifteenth: Crystal
Twentieth: China
Twenty-Fifth: Silver
Thirtieth: Pearls
Thirty-Fifth: Coral
Fortieth: Ruby
Forty-Fifth: Sapphire
Fiftieth: Gold
Fifty-Fifth: Emerald
Sixtieth: Diamond

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment... I love to hear from you!